Travel Blog

Isla Mujeres

What to Know and Why You Should Go

By: Connor Grenier

Now I’ve seen quite a few places in my short life. I’ve seen South Dakota, Montana, Colorado, Alaska, Florida, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Canada, and, as much as it pains me to say it, Nebraska (Sorry not sorry, Nebraska). I know, I’m so much more worldly now. However, Mexico isn’t like anything I’ve ever seen. More specifically, The Island of Women, Isla Mujeres. I may have convinced some of you with nothing more than “The Island of Women”, but some of you may need a little more convincing.

Now I am fully aware that I am young and half not even seen a fraction of what the world has to offer, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have good taste and when in Isla Mujeres, you’ll get it. The food there is beyond my words to describe it. Even the “non-Mexican” food was good, but I definitely recommend authentic Mexican food.

Which brings me to an important topic: Eating. We all need to eat and when you’re in a country, you probably want to try that country’s food. Well, going into the residential area is a MUST when at Isla Mujeres. That must sound very shady from your comfy, safe home, but Isla Mujeres’ residential area is not to be confused with the rest of Mexico. When you think about Mexico’s residential area, the first thing that might come to mind is a dangerous, gang riddled area. Well, The island of Isla Mujeres is only about eight miles long, so there isn’t a lot of gangs fighting over it. To give you an idea about how small that is, it only takes about two hours to drive around the whole island in a golf cart. Basically, you’re pretty safe while in Isla Mujeres. The food is great and there’s a lot to choose from.

Looking for a little knick knack to remember your trip sounds like a good idea when you get there, but don’t even bother. Isla Mujere’s tourist streets are loaded with useless junk that every other gift shop sells and are all made in china. Not to mention the persistent shopkeepers that may or may not literally beg you to buy something. They will tell any lie to convince you to buy their over priced merchandise. You’re better off finding a seashell on the beach or taking a picture.

The art gallery on the edge of the island was interesting to say the least and mystifying to say the most. Not only is it cheap, but it holds some interesting sculptures that may quench the thirst for abstract art. Another bonus is that area is drowning in iguanas. They are the cutest and funniest creatures I have ever seen. One moment they are as still as a rock. The next they spaz out and scurry up a rock. It’s quite humorous.

Wildlife on the island is in short supply, but lots of creatures can be seen around it. Along the coast, you are sure to see iguanas and several types of fish. I couldn’t tell you what species they were, but it was amazing to seem them while snorkeling. You can buy fish food on some beaches and feed the fish. They will often swim around you, regardless if you have food or not.

This may sound like a lot of money, but that brings me to my final point: Money. Expensive things aren’t always the best ones. Some of my favorite restaurants and attractions I went to were nearly half the price of the more expensive locations. Just remember that Isla Mujeres has places to explore so go explore.