The Void – Richard Smith

2,567,364 kilometers from Earth. To some one on Earth, it seems so far away. No one could ever hope of getting that far from Earth. Out here is a different story… Compared to the rest of the universe, it’ s so close, you could practically reach out and grab it, even though you can’t. Maybe the people are right. Maybe it is far. Close, Far; It doesn’t matter now. When we took off nearly eight years ago, people said we were flying to the heavens. Heavens… This is no heaven, it’s a void. An endless vacant black with no end in sight. or out of sight. The stars light the void, but only to taunt us. You find one, the void reminds you that there are trillions upon trillions of stars and that’s not even a fraction of them all. Is that all space is? A punch line for a sick joke played by something beyond us. Are we merely play things of unseen gods dancing around the stars, circling the edges of the universe while we trail behind in some part of the universe that isn’t even close to the end. Is there even an end? I don’t know, no one does. No one mortal. Our insignificant languages don’t have words to describe how maddening it is out here. I try to bring myself back, the old me, by looking for something familiar, but nothing compares. Nothing’s the same out here. There is only one constant in this void, this hell. It never ends.

One thought on “The Void – Richard Smith”